The largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver metalwork yet found.
The hoard was valued at £3.285 million and has now been purchased by the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery and the Potteries Museum & Art Gallery.
Hammerwich Neighbourhood Plan will shortly be going to referendum in the Parish.. A copy of the Plan can be found here: www.hammerwichparishcouncil.co.uk/annual-accounts/find out more here: →
Welcome to the Parish Council website for Hammerwich. On this site we will publish Council meeting information, latest news, Parish Council events and much more.
Details of Agendas and Minutes of the Parish Council can be found on these pages along with contact details for the Parish Council Clerk, Ellen Bird.
The Parish Council meets on the third Wednesday of every month (excluding August) at the Women’s Institute, 95 Burntwood Road. Members of the public are most welcome to attend.
In its current form, the parish of Hammerwich was established in 1871 and a new church of St John’s was built in 1874, with the Parish Council being established in 1894. Standing on a hilltop west of the church is a windmill, as readily recognisable to all who travel around the village of Hammerwich as the church of St John’s itself. The first windmill to be built in Hammerwich belonged to the Wymer family and is the earliest recorded windmill in Staffordshire.
Hammerwich had some industry, notably, some coal mining and nail making, but agriculture and husbandry, together with milling, formed the majority occupations.
Amenities in the village include a community centre, WI hall and a cricket ground. The Parish Council has provided 2 children’s play areas, one in Hospital Road and one in Mansion Drive.
The area has a number of schools, including Ridgeway Primary and Burntwood Technology College.